American Red Cross First Aid and CPR/AED
Learn valuable skills that could save a life. Our informative hands-on courses include training in First Aid and CPR/AED for adult, child and infant. These American Red Cross certifications are valid for 2 years. Members $90* Guests $110*
THIRD TUESDAY OF EVERY MONTH
9 a.m.-12:00 p.m.
Sept 17 193CM81A
Oct 15 193CM81B
Nov 19 193CM81C
Dec 17 193CM81D
*Price includes materials & certification fee
Advance registration is required.
American Red Cross Waterfront Lifeguard Training
Ages 15+. Complete coursework online prior to the start of class, and then
participate in group discussions and skills practice. For each class, please pack a lunch, swimsuit and towel. Students must participate in all course sessions to earn certification in Lifeguard Training, Waterfront, CPR/AED and First Aid. To schedule an alternative pre-course swim, please contact the Center. There will be no refund for failure of in-water tests and written exams.
In order to pass the Lifeguarding course you must:
1. Complete the prerequisite prior to registering for a Lifeguarding Course.
2. Swim 300 yards (550 for Waterfront participants) continuously demonstrating breath control and rhythmic breathing. Candidates may swim using the front crawl, breaststroke or a combination of both but swimming on the back or side is not allowed. Swim goggles may be used.
3. Tread water for 2 minutes using only the legs. Candidates should place their hands under the armpits.
4. Complete a timed event within 1 minute, 30 seconds.
• Starting in the water, swim 20 yards. The face may be in or out of the water.
Swim goggles are not allowed.
• Surface dive, feet-first or head-first, to a depth of 7 to 10 feet to retrieve a
• Return to the surface and swim 20 yards to return to the starting point with
both hands holding the object and keeping the face at or near the surface
so they are able to get a breath. Candidates should not swim the distance
• Exit the water without using a ladder or steps.
Course A: Oct 12-14 9 a.m.-4 p.m. Pre-course swim: 8:30 a.m. 193CM02A
Course B: Dec 21-23 9 a.m.-4 p.m. Pre-course swim: 8:30 a.m. 193CM02B
Members $285/Guests $325 price includes materials and certification fee.*
*Get YOUR CLASS paid for! If you apply & get hired at Berkshire South as a lifeguard after taking this class, you may be eligible for 100% reimbursement of your course fee depending on hours of availability for employment. Inquire by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org.
Water Safety Instructor Certification
Ages 16+. Focuses on preparing candidates to teach the Red Cross Swim programs, teaching candidates to introduce and develop fitness activities, water safety, and swimming skills.
Dec 27-29 8:30 a.m.-4:30 p.m. 193CM01A
Members $285/Guests $325
American Red Cross Babysitters’ Training Class
Ages 11-15. Do you want to learn more about caring for children and infants
so that you can set up your own babysitting business? This the the class for
you! You’ll also learn about leadership skills, age appropriate activities for
children, how to handle behavior challenges, decision making, interviewing
for jobs, diaper changes, meal times and bed times. Please pack a lunch.
PLEASE REGISTER FOR ONLY ONE OPTION:
MONDAY, Nov 11
Option 1: Babysitters’ Training Class 8:30 a.m.-2:30 p.m. 193TN81A
Members $75/Guests $85
Option 2: Babysitters’ Training Class Plus
Infant & Child CPR/First Aid 8:30 a.m.-5 p.m. 193TN81B
Members $110/Guests $130
Certify your group with us!
Set up a CPR/AED or First Aid course for your group of 5 to 10 at your facility or ours at a time that’s convenient for you. All of our certification courses are available at special group rates. For more information, please call 413.528.2810 ext. 20.